COMMON ERRORS IN NOUN USAGE
The grammar of a language teaches the learners and follow the masters
Rule: There are some nouns which look singular but in fact, they are plural. Such nouns like policy, poultry, people, gentry, and cattle are always used in the plural. Here are some usage examples:
1.The police were informed on time. Not The police were informed on time.
2. We get eggs from the poultry. Not We get eggs from poultries.
3. Poultry lay eggy. Not Poultries lay eggs.
4. Many people are going to the fair. Not Many peoples are going to the fair.
Note: But people also mean ‘a nation’. Then it can be made plural by adding ‘s’.
5. The population of the world can be divided into many races and peoples. Not The population of the world can be divided into many races and people.
6. There are no gentry in the town. Not
There are no gentries in the town.
7. The gentry of the town is are very fashionable. Not The gentry of the town are very fashionable.
8. Many cattle were grazing in the field. Not Many cattles were grazing in the field.
Rule: Nouns like scenery, machinery, work, poetry, furniture, information, luggage, and advice are used only in the singular.
1. Kashmir is famous for its beautiful scenery. Not Kashmir is famous for its beautiful sceneries.
2. There is much beautiful beautiful scenery in Kashmir. Not There are much beautiful beautiful scenery in Kashmir.
3. He deals in machinery.Not He deals in machinery.
4. Machinery often goes out of order. Not Machineries often goes out of order.
5. I have much urgent work to do.Or I have many pieces of urgent work. Not I have many urgent works to do.
6. Tourists have sent their luggage by train. Not Tourists have sent their luggages by train.
7. I have bought much new furniture. Not I have bought many new furnitures.
8. He gave me much information.Not He gave me many informations.
9. My father gave me much good advice. Not My father gave many good advices.
10 . Keats has written much fine poetry. NOT Keats has written many fine poetries.
Rule: Nouns like news, gallows, innings,mathematics, hair, economics, physics politics,statistics, stylistics metaphysics and summons seam to be plural in form as they have an added -s but in fact they are always singular. Look at the following examples:
1. This news was very good Not These news were very good.
2. The murderer was hanged on this gallows. Not The murderer was hanged on these gallows.
3. The Indian team won the match by one innings and fifty runs. Indian team won the match by one inning and fifty runs.
4. Mathematics is very difficult. Not Mathematics are very difficult.
5. His hair is curly and black. No His hair are curly and black.
6. Economics deals with money matters. Not Economics deal with money matters
7. Physics deals with nature and natural phenomenon. Not Physics deal with nature and natural phenomenon.
8. Politics is dirty game. Not Politics are dirty game.
9. Statistics is a dull subject. Statistics are a dull subject.
10 Metaphysics is the study of the ultimate reality of things. Not Metaphysics are the study of the ultimate reality of things.
11.The summons has been issued by the court. Not The summons have been issued by the court.
The plural is the normal choice with the names of football teams because they are regarded as a collection of individuals:
Manchester United are coming to play here.
The relationship between nouns (as subjects) and verbs is called ‘agreement’.