The Story of Cricket
- Cricket’s Origin:
- Answer: (ii) British game.
- Synonyms for ‘Oddities’:
- Curious characteristics
- Cricket Bat vs. Hockey Stick:
- Answer: A cricket bat is flat and thick, while a hockey stick is designed to be bent at its bottom.
- True/False Statements:
- (i) True
- (ii) True
- (iii) False
- (iv) False
- Opposite of ‘Professional’:
- Answer: Amateur
- Meaning of ‘Triumph’ in One-Day Game:
- Answer: (iv) Popularity among viewers.
- “The Men for Whom the World is a Stage”:
- Answer: (iii) It implies that cricketers are like actors, and every cricket ground is like a stage for the drama of cricket worldwide.
Working with the Text
- Stick-and-Ball Games:
- Answer: Golf, Squash, Polo
- Why Parsis Took to Cricket:
- Answer: The Parsis were interested in trade with the British.
- Happy Ending for Parsis:
- Answer: The victory of the Parsi Cricket Team over the Bombay Gymkhana in 1889.
- Cricket’s Popularity and Television:
- Answer: Yes, cricket owes its present popularity to television as it helps disseminate information and kindles interest, especially among kids and youths.
- Cricket’s Viewership in India vs. China/Russia:
- Answer: Cricket’s viewership in India is due to historical colonization by the British, which didn’t occur in China or Russia.
- Cricket’s ‘Equipment’:
- Answer: Various accessories used in the game, such as bat, ball, stumps, gloves, helmet, pads, etc.
- Unique Aspects of Test Cricket:
- Answer: Test cricket is unique as it can last for 5 days, and a match can end in a draw.
- Cricket vs. Other Team Games:
- Answer: Cricket differs in pitch dimensions, not specifying shape, unlike many other team games.
- Impact of Technology on Cricket:
- Answer: Technology has made cricket safer with better protective equipment like helmets, pads, and gloves.
- Changes and Unchanged Aspects in Cricket:
- Answer: Cricket has evolved with technology and gained popularity but remains unchanged in its fundamental rules and gameplay.