What is Lyrics?
A lyric is a short poem in which a single narrator speaks to express his state of mind. The narrator in the lyric may be speaking alone and thinking about himself. In this process the reader can understand his feelings. For example, Emily Dickinson says “I Heard a fly Buzz” which explains to the reader the state of mind of the poet at the time of death. She further says:
“I heard a Fly buzz when I died;
The stillness round my form
Was like the stillness in the air
Between the heaves of storm.”
Here the narrator is communicating to the reader the atmosphere that surrounded him at the time of death. Another example of this kind is that of John Donne’s “Canonisation” where the narrator talks to another person, may be a lover and explains to the reader that their love can be canonized or immortalized. The narrator “I” can be anyone, the poet himself or herself or any imaginary narrator.
While “I” address the reader there may also be public addresses like in Walt Whitman’s “O Captain, My Captain”. It is a poem written on the death of Abraham Lincon and here “I” represents the public.
- Love (III) By George Herbert – Summary and AnalysisLove (III) is a beautiful poem written By George Herbert. In this poem, God is represented as Love, meaning that God is the source and fountain of all love and that God’s love for mankind is infinite.
- Grass Words by Gopal Honnalgere – Summary and Solved QuestionsIn this poem ‘grass’ is personified, and it is speaking to us. The grass contrasts itself, its life with the life of the human beings. Every stanza in this poem points out the weaknesses of human beings or the futility of what they do.
- A Frog Screams – Summary, Analysis and Solved QuestionsThe poem is a narrative poem. The poet narrates an incident. It is about the release of a frog from a serpent. He describes how he rescued the frog. In the latter part of this poem, he cites his own reaction and the reaction of God to his remark.
- Runner by Romen Basu – Summary and Solved QuestionsRunner is a short story. It is written by Romen Basu. It deals with the theme of competitive spirit between two schoolboys. They become rivals.
- A Treasure Trove Volume -II Class 9th NCERT Solutions ( Questions and Answers) | Poem – TelevisionA Treasur Trove Television Questions • EXTRACT-1 (a) Who are we referred to in the first line here? Ans. In the first line ‘we’ referred to are the persons like the poet who are worried about the children’s habit of watching the television. (b) Who are…