Meta Description: Are you an international student and want to study in the United States? Here is a list of universities that offer admission in the USA without IELTS and TOEFL. Read on to learn about these Schools.
Universities admissions in the USA without IELTS and TOEFL
In the United States, it is estimated that there are 30% of international students studying there. Higher education in the country has great recognition. This is why international students wish to study there to experience great campus life. The common issue some applicants face is passing the TOEFL and IELTS. Hence, their search for institutions that don’t require these exams for their admission process.
However, many applicants come from non-English backgrounds. Some of them have done English courses but do not have the proficiency level to pass the international exams. Students can read some admissions consultants reviews to know the requirements of every school. Also, knowing if the TOEFL and IELTS are compulsory is important. It makes one know if his chances of getting admitted are certain.
Criteria You Must Meet Before You Can Study Without IELTS and TOEFL
There are certain criteria you must meet to obtain admission to the US. So many applicants find it hard to get admitted without meeting them. They include:
● You must be a native speaker to skip taking these international exams or English Language Proficiency Test.
● You must have been admitted for about a year or two in the United States. In this case, you are not required to provide your test results.
● Some universities in the United States offer students Intensive English Language programs. This will help to test their proficiency in their chosen institution.
● You will have to take some summer courses in the US. These courses allow students to advance their proficiency in the English Language.
● If you have studied the language in your secondary or high school, you won’t need to take these international exams. They will consider you a proficient speaker.
● Most Universities in the United States offer bridging courses for students that don’t get direct admission. This program will be available for students that do not meet the Language Requirements.
List of Universities that do not Require TOEFL and IELTS
The following include universities that do not require IELTS and TOEFL for admission.
- University of New Orleans: This institution is mostly referred to as UNO. You must apply for graduate programs and admission to study here without IELTS and TOEFL. This admission process requires you to complete the UNO intensive English Language examination.
- University of Colorado: To study in this school without writing a professional examination, you must prove that you come from an English-speaking country. Apart from this proof, you must study and complete an academic year in the USA. This is to show that you’re well versed in English language usage. It is also to show your communication skills. As an alternative to the international examinations, the school accepts the Duolingo test. This helps to show your basic understanding of the language.
- Drexel University: Drexel is a university without TOEFL. This international examination is not part of their requirements before admission. For a start, you can join the University Summer Preparation (USP) and the FCBP program. The FCBP is a pre-qualifying examination for international students. Those who wish to earn a master’s degree. Also, this school accepts the Duolingo test as that will show your understanding skill.
- Rice University: This institution is situated in Houston, Texas. The admission process doesn’t require you to do IELTS and TOEFL. The school admission committee will assess your proficiency before you can be admitted. Your communication skill will also be put to the test. Rice University is a research institution offering undergraduate and graduate programs. They offer courses in diverse fields of human endeavor.
- University of Dayton: The University of Dayton is a private Roman Catholic church University. It is the largest in Ohio. Before you can be granted admission, you’ll need to take the Intensive English Language Program ( IELP).
- Northwood University: This school allows students admission without taking the international examinations. You only need to provide proof of your understanding of English. It also requires proof of it being the language of communication in your high school study or bachelor’s degree.
- National Louis University: This institution is a private school founded in 1886. It has also promoted the importance of academic and professional training in early childhood education. One good thing about the institution is that it grants students admission without passing professional exams. To be admitted, only one requirement is needed of you. The proof that you’ve passed through the English Language in your high school study. It must be a medium of instruction in the previous institution the applicant is coming from.
- University of Arkansas: This school doesn’t assess your IELTS or TOEFL. They only do a case-to-case admission process to evaluate your basic English skills. Students are offered admission based on certain terms. It is that they take 1 to 6 hours of language and cultural studies courses alongside their study program. Also, the school offers an intensive English Language program. This is for people who can’t meet the language proficiency scores during the assessment.
- State University of New York: The State University of New York offers a separate examination. They test students’ language proficiency aside from IELTS and TOEFL. They offer students an Intensive English Language program and an English as a second language Program (ESL).
- Northwood University: This school is known for granting international students admission. The only requirement the school needs is proficiency proof. The proof that you used English as a Medium of instruction in your previous institution.
As you’ve read above, some universities do not require TOEFL and IELTS. One of the requirements is to have English proficiency. As an applicant, you must have completed your senior secondary education in an English-speaking country and an English-speaking institution for a certain time. Some universities also help their students gain admission into the United States by offering an Intensive English Language Program. This better equips the students with language proficiency.